- I94 Dynamic Processor
- A combination of Limiter, Compressor and Noise - versatile Dynamic Processor for 4U frames
The I94 is a dynamic processor that combines a versatile compressor, a fast noise gate with side chain filters, and a very fast brick-wall limiter. The design of the Dynamics Processor is optimized for the treatment of any kind of instruments and covers all necessary functions and features.
- A lot of additional features and total, adjustable control of the features make this unit an essential tool for any kind of dynamic processing.
- The I94 is available with electronically balanced inputs and outputs. The functions of the unit are regulated by several VCA's. The feed forward control action allows extremely fast and accurately linear operationof all components of the dynamic processor. Limiter, compressor and noise gate are independent building block without mutual influence.
- The limiter of the unit is implemented for very fast brick-wall operation. It is able to fade down short peaks of up to 5 dB in an inaudible way. The release time is controlled by the structure of the program and based on a value of 0.3 s. The attack time is always as short as possible. The range of the threshold control is from OFF to 4 dB. The gain reduction display is a 3 color LED. Green shows that the level is below threshold. When the level exceeds threshold the color turn to yellow. Increasing gain reduction changes the color via orange to red. With 10 dB of gain reduction the color of the LED is deep red. The limiter is on if either the compressor or the gate is switched on.
- The range of the threshold is from -30dB to 20dB. The range of the Ratio is from 1:1 (compressor inactive) to infinity (limiter operation). These ranges cover all kinds of application. The release range is from 0.5 s up to 5 seconds. The Attack range is from 0.1ms up to 30 ms. The gain make-up is handled by a very accurate and switchable auto gain that maintains a constant output level (within a 1dB range) regardless of the other parameter settings. In addition, a gain control with calibrated center position and a range of ± 20 dB is part of the section. The compressor has precision RMS converters whose behavior can be adapted by the CREST and ENV switches to the input signal. The KNEE control is a 3-position switch. Its position (off, 3 dB or 6 dB) affects the transition range around the threshold.
- Crest factor
- The switch CREST determines the reaction of the converter in relation to the peak and/or
- RMS value of the signal. With this facility, the control characteristic of the audio signal can be highly affected. The switch has 3 possible positions; 1, 2 and 4. In position 1, the converter operates as peak rectifier. Position 4 switches it into RMS mode. Position 2 activates a medium value that is the best choice for many applications.
- The envelope control determines the reaction of the converter to low frequency. Because effective compression with a relevant increase of the loudness of the signal generally depends on a setting of a short release time and medium to long attack. The envelope setting increases the effectiveness of the compression on the low frequency edge of the signal when there is a short release setting that causes the problem of harmonic distortion.
- A LED chain with 5 LEDxs and 20 dB range display the gain reduction. A separate switch activates the compressor..
- Noise Gate
- Aside from the suppression of disturbances while breaks, the main application of gate is the modification of the signal's envelope. The noise gate of the dynamic processor has a very fast attack time and full control of all parameters allow a wide range of modifications.
- The control range of the threshold is from +12 dB to 40 dB. The range control determines the attenuation when the gate is closed and can be adjusted in the range from 0 dB to 80 dB. The attack ranges from 0.01 ms to 5 ms. At the 0.01 ms position the gate is open within the first 180 degrees of a 10 kHz sine wave so that the transients remain unchanged. Release time and hold time have identical variation ranges from 50 ms to 5 s. The release time determines the fade out time from 0 dB with gate open to the value that is determined by the setting of the range pot. The hold setting delays the beginning of the fade out and is started when the level drops below threshold. It is retriggered if the level exceeds the threshold level.
- A 12 dB/oct high pass and a low pass filter part of the gate side chain. The wide ranges of the filters are from off to 200 Hz for the low pass and from off to 3 kHz for the high pass filter.
The operation of the gate is displayed by three LEDxs. Green shows that the gate is open, yellow displays that the hold time is running and red shows that the gate is closed. A switch activates the gate section. The SCL switch is used for the control of the rectifier input signal and is helpful to adjust the filter. It switches the rectifiers input signal to the output of the unit.
- The I94 dynamic processor fits into a 4U high INTEGRATOR mounting frame.