- I97 Dynamics Unit
- The extensive Compressor and Expander Dynamics Unit is installed in many adt-audio console channels.
The I97 is one of the top of the line INTEGRATOR series dynamics modules with many possibilities for the application of complex dynamic treatment of all types of program material. Similar modules are used in channel strips of the mixer series 5 MT-S and MR5. An orderly and agronomical layout of all controls and functions result in easy operation and make it possible to have fast, effective and outstanding results.
The dynamic unit is a full-featured unit that offers total, adjustable control of its features. The additional CREST and ENVELOPE controls make it possible to adapt the approach of the unit to signals to be compressed and among other things increases its effectiveness when compressing low frequency signals.
- The I97 is available with electronically balanced or balanced and floating inputs and outputs. The functions of the unit are regulated by VCA's. The feedforward control action allows extremely fast and accurately linear operation.
- The range of the threshold is from -30dB to 20dB. The range of the Ratio is from 1:1 (compressor inactive) to infinity (limiter operation). These ranges cover all areas of application, from a soft peak reduction up to the brick wall limiter operation. The release range is from 0.1 s up to 5 seconds. The Attack range is from 0.1ms up to 30ms. The gain make-up is handled by a very accurate and switch able auto gain that maintains a constant output level (within a 1dB range) regardless of the other parameter settings. The compressor has precision RMS converters whose behaviour can be adapted by the CREST and ENV switches to the input signal.
- The switch CREST determines the reaction of the converter in relation to the peak and/or RMS value of the signal. By the adaptation of the RMS converter the real value of the signal will be given. The smaller the opposed value, the better the conversion concerning the real value calculation. The bigger the value, the closer the behaviour approaches that of a pure peak value electric rectifier. With this facility the control characteristic of the audio signal can be highly affected. The switch has 3 possible positions; 1, 2 and 4, (the smaller the value, the softer the behaviour).
- The envelope function of this dynamics module determines the reaction of the converter to low frequency. Because effective compression with a relevant increase of the loudness of the signal generally depends on a setting of a short release time and medium to long attack. The envelope setting increases the effectiveness of the compression on the low frequency edge of the signal when there is a short release setting that causes the problem of harmonic distortion.
- The expander serves in essence for the oppression of disturbances that might be emphasized by compression. The range of the threshold is from ?50dB to 0dB. The range of the Ratio is from 1:1 to 8:1. The Release range is from 0.1 s up to 5 seconds. A switch for fast or slow action controls the reaction of the attack. Two separate LED chains indicate the activity of both processing sections. For the compressor there is an 8-diode chain that indicates gain reduction, and for the expander there is a 5-diode chain. The switch EXP-ON turns on the expander.
- The I97 dynamics module fits into a 4U high INTEGRATOR mounting frame.
- Balanced and floating inputs and output